This course is intended to provide an introduction to spatial databases in general and PostGIS in particular to GIS professionals who are interested in expanding their skillset to multi-user enterprise level spatial databases. This course uses the latest versions of PostgreSQL, PostGIS, and QGIS.
Upon course completion, participants should be able to:
- What a spatial database is and why you would want to use one.
- What SQL is, why you would want to use it, and how it can be applied to geospatial concepts.
- How to install PostGIS locally for development purposes and how to access a production version via a network or the internet.
- How to load your spatial data into PostGIS and access it from a variety of clients, especially QGIS
- The basics of SQL for both spatial and non-spatial queries
- How to validate data and control user access with the tools built-in to PostGIS
- Optimizing your queries for the best performance
- How to work with raster data in PostGIS
- The basics of programming custom functions with PL/pgSQL
- The basics of database administration to keep your database operating smoothly
Module 1: Introduction to QGIS
- Gain a basic conceptual understanding of cartography, GIS, and mapping
- Gain familiarity with geographic data and information, and how it's encoded within computer files
- Gain a basic familiarity with the QGIS interface
- Gain awareness of spatial reference and projection issues
- Practice opening a variety of geographic data with QGIS and viewing their attributes within QGIS
Module 2: mapping using QGIS
- Creating a Basic Map
- Classifying Vector Data
- Creating Maps
- Vector Analysis
- Completing the Analysis
- Online Resources
- QGIS Server
- Perform basic map styling
- Create and export a basic map as a static image file
Module 3: POSTGIS
- Introduction to POSTGIS
- Applications that support PostGIS
- Creating a PostGIS database
- Loading spatial data
- Data review
- Postgis connection and settings
- Spatial reference systems settings
- Import .csv file with point location
- SQL and graphical querying
- Spatial relationships
- Spatial joins
- Spatial indexing
- Geometry constructing functions
Module 4: Advanced QGIS Processing
- Using Spatial Databases in QGIS
- Creating POSTGIS connection
- Adding POSTGIS layers
- Plot data in QGIS
- Change layer style
- Geoprocessing tools
- Geometry tools
- Processing toolbox
Module 5: Online Sources of Data
- Openstreet maps
- Google earth
- Interactive and shareable maps
- Google maps, Geoserver, fusion tables and CartoDB
- Online data analysis
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request. You can also have it delivered your preferred location.
For further inquiries, please contact us through Mobile: +254 732 776 700 or Email: email@example.com
Participants should be reasonably proficient in English. During the trainings, participants should come with their own laptops.
The course fee covers the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact us through Mobile: +254732776700
or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Payment should be transferred to FineResults Research Limited bank before commencement of training. Send proof of payment through the email: email@example.com
• All requests for cancellations must be received in writing.
• Changes will become effective on the date of written confirmation being received.