|Course Date||Onsite fees:||Live Online fee:||Register
Onsite in Nairobi, Kenya
|04/12/2023 To 08/12/2023||1,000 USD
| 600 USD
|29/01/2024 To 02/02/2024||1,000 USD
| 600 USD
|29/04/2024 To 03/05/2024||1,000 USD
| 600 USD
|29/07/2024 To 02/08/2024||1,000 USD
| 600 USD
|28/10/2024 To 01/11/2024||1,000 USD
| 600 USD
In Africa, the dairy sector is crucial for rural development, poverty reduction and food and nutrition security. The sector is mainly dominated by smallholder dairy farmers. The Africa’s dairy industry is however faced with a number of challenges, including low productivity per cow, fluctuating milk production, inconsistent milk quality, the high cost of production, inefficiencies along the value chain and a large informal sector dominance in milk sale. As a result of these challenges, dairy farmers are characterized by low milk output and low milk quality leading to low income from sale of milk. With the anticipated increase in demand of dairy products following population growth, urbanisation and improved purchasing power, there is need for dairy farmers to embrace interventions that may lead to increased milk productivity and enhanced milk quality. This 5-days course will equip participants with hands on skills on feed types, quality and quantity, feed storage and preservation, housing of a dairy cow, dairy cow management and record keeping among others.
Who should attend?
· Agricultural extension officers
· Representatives of NGOs
· Private organizations
· Individuals who are interested in dairy farming
· Field technicians and agricultural extension staff, representatives of cooperative societies
· Individuals willing to start a dairy enterprise
At the end of the training, participants will be able to:
· Select appropriate dairy breeds for different farming situations.
· Develop a business plan for the management of a dairy property.
· Describe the different characteristics, including their nature and scope, of dairy products.
· Explain the management of the lactation cycle in dairy cattle, on a farm property.
· Manage general husbandry operations for the dairy cow.
· Manage the wellbeing of a dairy cow, including consideration of its health and vigour, to optimise quality and quantity of production.
· Explain the significance of animal breeding programs for milk production.
· Explain the management of the facilities, including buildings and machinery, at a farm dairy.
· Explain how milk composition can affect its use for different purposes.
· List the farm husbandry factors which can influence the lactation cycle.
· Prepare a plan for a feed flow program to support milk production on a specified property.
Module 1: How to run a dairy farm as a successful business
· Selecting a breeding stock (buy young cow)
· Characteristics considered in selecting a young cow
· Dairy Business Planning
· Dairy Breeds
· Dairy Products
· The Lactation Cycle
Module 2: How to feed your cattle for maximum milk production
· Different feed types
· Quantity (rations of feeds)
· What is a balanced ration and how does this ensure maximum production
· Feeding and nutrition of dairy cows
· Napier grass management
Module3: How to care for your dairy cows for maximum production
· Calf rearing
· Ensuring the cow is healthy (Deworming, Vaccination, spraying or taking a cow to cattle dip)
· Parasites & Diseases of Dairy Cattle ( Mastitis’s control, East Coast Fever, calf mortality, pneumonia etc)
· How to build a dairy facility to provide the best care for your dairy cows (Housing of dairy cows)
· Milk hygiene and milk technique
· Health of dairy cows, with submodules on mastitis, tick fever, worms, vaccinations and pneumonia
· Fertility and breeding
· Farm record keeping
Module 4: Crop Production – what crops to grow and how to grow them effectively
· Growing of forages and fodder
· How to turn your harvest into Silage and hay
· Importance of feed conservation
Module 5: Field visit
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request. You can also have it delivered your preferred location.
For further inquiries, please contact us through Mobile: +254 732 776 700/+254759285295 or Email: email@example.com
· Participants should be reasonably proficient in English. During the trainings, participants should come with their own laptops.
· The course fee covers the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
· Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact us through
· Mobile: +254732776700 / +254759285295
or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org