Before any intervention on food and nutrition security, development agents start by analyzing the status of food and nutrition security. A number of tools are available for this type of analysis. In addition, technologies such as Geographic Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS), satellite imagery, mobile applications and statistical data analysis software are employed. This training course will equip participants with the knowledge and skills to analyze the food and nutrition security.
By the end of this course the participants will be able to understand:
- Key concepts of food and nutrition security
- Various approaches to food and nutrition security interventions
- Important tools used to analyze food and nutrition security
- How to carry out food and nutrition security assessment at community level.
- Key policies associated to food security
- How to analyze food security via GIS and remote sensing
- Food and nutrition security programming monitoring and evaluation
Introduction to food security
- Meaning of food security
- Concepts of food security
- Food indicators
- Food security causes and combating food insecurities
Approaches of food security analysis
- Assessment of food security
- Analyzing food security using Food Security Monitoring System (FSMS)
- Food Security Contributing and Non-Food Security Contributing Factors
- Targeting of the poorest groups and various other target groups
- Approaches, methods and tools used by humanitarian agencies to measure livelihoods, food insecurity and vulnerability (Vulnerability Mapping for Food Security)
Assessment of Food Security
- Comprehensive Food Security and Vulnerability Analysis (CFSVA)
- Emergency Food Security Assessment (EFSA)
- Joint Assessment Missions (JAM)
- Crop and Food Supply Missions (CFSAM)
Tools of Food Security Analysis
- Food policy analysis tools.
- Agricultural commodity market tools
- Agricultural input prices
- Food security indicator & policy analysis tool
Introduction to GIS and R.S concepts in the context of food security.
- GIS project design and setup
- Sources of GIS data for food security
- Basic use of GIS Software
- Integrating data from different sources into a GIS
- Using handheld GPS for field data collection
Geospatial analysis for agriculture and food security
- Mapping areas of food insecurity
- Introduction to Remote sensing
- Remote Sensing in agriculture and food security.
- Use of remote sensing and image analysis software
- Image interpretation
- Image classification
- Change detection
Assessment using GIS and RS
- The use of satellite imagery for food insecurity detection and recovery
- Visualization of vulnerability information
- Assessing food insecurity impact
Food Security Data Collection and Analysis
- Household collection of data
- Food security indicators
- Indicators calculation
- Indicators utilization for food security
Gender integration in Food Security
- Gender-differentiated roles in agriculture and food security.
- Gender-differentiated impacts in agriculture and food security.
- Gender gaps in the agricultural sector.
- Appropriate responses to close the gender gap in the agricultural sector in order to achieve food security.
- Integrating of gender perspectives into agricultural and food security policies.
- How to minimize gender barriers in the food industry.
Food Security Monitoring and Evaluation
- Monitoring and evaluation concepts
- Purpose of monitoring and evaluation
- Approaches and methods
- Evaluation criteria
- Setting up an FSP monitoring and evaluation system
- Linking M & E and food security information to other policy spheres
This training can also be customized for your institution upon request. You can also have it delivered your preferred location. For further inquiries, please contact us through Mobile: +254 732 776 700 or +254 759 285 295. You can also email us on: firstname.lastname@example.org
Participants should be reasonably proficient in English. During the trainings, participants should come with their own laptops.
The course fee covers the course tuition, training materials, two break refreshments, lunch, and study visits.
Accommodation is arranged upon request. For reservations contact us through Mobile: +254 732 776 700/+254 759 285 295 or Email: email@example.com
Payment should be transferred to FineResults Research Limited bank before commencement of training. Send proof of payment through the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All requests for cancellations must be received in writing.
- Changes will become effective on the date of written confirmation being received.